Sunday 13 March 2011

Airports 2: price bubbles

As I sit here eating my overpriced sandwich, drinking a sparkling apple juice I have time to wack out a blog post on thr experience.

Inside an airport there's a bored, captive audience who
have demonstrated their lack of poverty by paying for air travel.

We expect airports to have rip-off pricing, but how much?

So, having time to kill and armed with a smartphone I checked Dixons, who promise to price-match rivals such as JL and Amazon. I only found one item cheaper, the S G T, £5 less. A Canon G12 was 376, a Canon S95 299, an HTC Desire Z for 395, and a Sandisk 16GB uSDHC card (with usb reader) a stunning 80.

The shop assistant was amused, then bemused, when I told her if I'd bought everything I checked, it'd cost me over £150 in their store.

There's actually an outer and inner price bubble, for example before security an USA-UK mains adaptor is 1 cheaper and a medium latte about 0.50 cheaper.

I imagine each shop has horrendous overheads, paying BAA a fortune in rent, so it's not entirely the retailer's fault.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment