Tuesday 15 June 2010

Tesco Direct - A lesson in how to make shopping harder

Tesco Direct is a web and catalogue sales operation run by the hugely successful Tesco superstore chain in the UK. I imagine their theory is that they want to expand their business but can't carry every product line in the shop, so by having an online shop as well as catalogues and an orders/collection desk in store they can steal market share from online and offline shops: you can order online or in-store and have items delivered to your home or collect them.


Unfortunately it seems that TD are not very joined up with the main retail operation. I've never ordered anything from TD before (I've always found them to be more expensive than other online shops, and their postage prices aren't favourable either) either online or in-store.


Just recently I wanted a cheap spare phone capable of 3G, and noticed that the Tesco Direct website had the Nokia 2730 on special offer, a smidgen under £40, cheaper by £20 than most places (even ebay). I didn't want to incur delivery charges for a relatively low-valued item, so I decided to check if the local shop had any on the shelf at that price - usually TD lower their prices first then the retail outlet follows.

I went into the shop and found one on the shelf for £60 so went to the TD desk and checked their laminated paper catalogue, where it was still listed for £60. I wrote down the SKU and the lady at the desk checked the computer and it showed up at £40.

Said I wanted it, so the lady went to the store room and found one, scanned the barcode and the till showed£60. She asked me if I wanted it for £60, or preferre to wait whilst they order it in from TD to get it at the lower price. This Tesco is quite local to my workplace, so going there was fairly convenient, not being in a rush I decided to wait. I ordered and payed, getting an order confirmation receipt.

I commented to the lady at the desk that this was a crazy situation, that the catalogue had the wrong price which could deter some customers, and she couldn't sell me the item in her hand so I'd have to wait for them to order it in. She asked why don't I talk to someone about it?! I responded that since I'm not a shareholder it wasn't my problem how they run their business, if they wanted to lose customers that was their problem. She gave me a funny look like it was my fault.


1 comment:

  1. I recently bought a couple of Playstation accessories, so when the email arrived to tell me they were ready for collection, made a detour to pick them up... fortunately not too far out of my way.

    Only one item had actually arrived, so I had to make another visit the next day!

    I've been told this isn't actually that uncommon.

    sigh.

    ReplyDelete